Friday, July 31, 2009

7 Quick Takes (Again! Already!)


  1. I just taught Rachel and her friend how to crochet. I know, I am amazing. So, now, if you'll excuse me, I'll spend the rest of the day in my bedroom closet, hiding from the children and blogging on my laptop.
  2. One of these days I should figure out how to file self-employment tax forms. Say, before the nice gentleman from the IRS shows up at my door...
  3. My (self-employed) neighbor says I can deduct mileage for getting to Starbucks. So now I"m wondering if the cinnamon coffee cake is deductible as "office expenses."
  4. Using the word "deductible" makes me feel very grown-up.
  5. Stick around for #7 - you won't regret it.
  6. I figured out how to stick that "7 Quick Takes" icon (or whatever you call it) into this blog post. I feel very good about that. Even if it is too tiny.
  7. Best for last - solutions to the problem of health care reform - enjoy!
    The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
    You're Welcome - Health Care Reform
    www.thedailyshow.com
    Daily Show
    Full Episodes
    Political HumorJoke of the Day

10 comments:

  1. #1 and #7: two thumbs way, way up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically you could deduct the coffee cake as a meal/entertainment as long as you think or talk about work while eating it. There are all sorts of fun things to deduct. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!
    I just signed up to donate my kidney and part of my liver. My fiance is doing surgery residency, he said he'll do the removing for me. I can refer him if anyone else wants to cash in a kidney for $160,000.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have cracked me right up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you pay yourself per diem? I keep asking my husband for a raise and he offers to double my salary, but that still get me to zero.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. You are amazing! Could you teach my daughter how to crochet too? I've tried,and she's just not getting it. The biggest problem is that she's left handed and I'm right handed. I've tried to get her to try to "mirror" me, but it still didn't work. We both get frustrated.
    Send me your address, I'll ship her there.
    2. We figured out a long time ago that the best way to figure out the self employment tax forms is to hire someone to do it. The money you pay them to do your taxes may be deducted from your taxes the following year.
    3.Yes, you can totally deduct your mileage. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if you and Larry go on a really nice vacation to the Bahamas or Hawaii or Europe or anyplace really, and you give someone your business card while you're there that you can deduct the cost of the whole trip.
    (OK, I'm not really sure about that last part, but really, wouldn't that be nifty if you could?)
    4. I wonder if you pay $160,000 for a kidney, if you could deduct that cost from your taxes. Really, it sounds like it might pay for itself that way.
    5. I enjoyed #7. Isn't that the PC guy from the Mac computer commercials? We're Mac people around here.
    6. Good job!
    7. See #4 and #5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What would we do without the Daily Show to make sense of things for us?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only another mother could appreciate the "hiding" from ones own children in a closet no less!

    ReplyDelete
  9. h.i.l.a.r.i.o.u.s.

    absolutely hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alas, I believe you can deduct only 50% of the coffeecake and then only if you are traveling to a Starbucks in a different city.

    On a more serious note, if you're not willing to pay someone else to do your taxes, one of the tax preparation software packages is probably worth looking at. It helped me a lot the couple of years I was subcontracting part time.

    ReplyDelete