Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Politics - Now Playing In A Senate Chamber Near You!

Too, too tired to be coherent this evening. I'm going to crawl between my cozy sheets and try to sleep - that is, if my clogged sinuses, stuffed-up nose, and PMS headache don't keep me up.

Yeah, it's one of those days. I made it worse by listening to snippets of the Senate grilling Sotomayor today. All I can say is, I'm glad those Republican senators are trying to make sure we don't get some emotional Hispanic female on the Supreme Court - let's just stick with the white guys, because we all know white guys don't have any biases of their own.

I told you I was cranky. Here, this guy says it better. And The New Yorker last month took pains to remind us that the quest for diversity on the Court, far from being a sort of late-20th-century liberal gerrymandering, has a long history, with the definition of diversity changing as our society has changed.

[That last link is a good read, folks - a balanced assessment of what Sotomayor has done and might do, with a lot of historical perspective thrown in...don't miss it!]

Something funny tomorrow, I promise - or else a long-overdue fridge post...

12 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 14, 2009

    eh, they need to grab onto something...Thanks for the point to the balanced perspective.
    sink

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 15, 2009

    I had no idea that white + male = neutrality. I had previously assumed it simply meant you had a certain worldview, differing from others (females, minorities). My bad.

    What would I do if you didn't help me understand politics? I guess I'd be reduced to thinking life was all about me and mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great articles you linked us to.

    My allergies are killing me today. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also annoyed by the very white male court and now the VERY WHITE MEN scolding her for making a casual remark 8 years ago.

    I still wish Hilliary would have won for us :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 15, 2009

    Ooooh! PMS headaches are the worst. I get those, too.

    I hope you're feeling better this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 15, 2009

    I too appreciate the favors the patriarchy are doing for our country--partial justice SHOULD and thus far DOES look blandly white and male.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, this whole "grilling" is frustrating, but she can take it.

    Feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sick of hypocritical white guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SC-she comes the internet for information so I don't have to. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're a bunch of whiny losers. If she were on their side of the fence, they would be all over confirming her with nary a word about that statement. I'm just sorry she didn't stick up for her statement more. Being a wise Latina adds something to the mix while not detracting from the white males. It's the combination of them together that will be better. She represents the experiences of a huge portion of our society.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey, u have two things i've been meaning to tell you:

    1. i love your new look
    2. i finally, FINALLY, made it to an IKEA store and NOW i know what you've been raving about all this time. i'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Eugene Robinson's columns, and his ending statement says it all.

    ReplyDelete