Friday, June 27, 2014

Blueberry Buckle, With A Side Of Nostalgia

David managed to transform some of those blueberries from yesterday into this:

On my favorite plate, too...

Actually, that's only what's left - there was way more before we got our hands on it.  I rescued the remnants for the photo shoot.  And, gosh, that photograph almost looks Pinterest-worthy, doesn't it?  Who knew a $2 plate from Target and some rudimentary baking and photography skills could accomplish that?

All I can say is, I've come a long way from the days when I didn't know how to hyperlink and was asking other bloggers what a meme was.  I've been doing this blogging thing for just about 7 years now, and I still remember how excited I was to receive my first comment.  Oh, those were the days, people - I would write about my bra and receive 73 comments.  73!  I would post about the mess in my fridge and have German au pairs swarming my site.  A pox on you, Facebook and Pinterest, with your easy liking and sharing!  This blog feels like the Internet equivalent of a Flintstones car now.

Anywhoo, in a nod to the good old days, when recipes were on blogs and not on Pinterest, here are the Blueberry Buckle instructions:

Ingredients:
1 teen boy who is bored enough to mess around in the kitchen
3/4 sugar
1/2 cup shortening (David used butter, because he knows what he is doing)
1 egg (David used egg replacer, lacto-vegetarian that he is)
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2 cups blueberries

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

Cream sugar and shortening, beat in egg. Alternate adding the flour/baking powder and the milk.  I don't know why you alternate.  If you feel like throwing caution to the winds, just throw it all together, but don't say I didn't warn you.  Spread batter in a GREASED 8x8 pan. Spread blueberries on top.

Combine last 4 ingredients to make a crumbly topping.  Sprinkle over blueberries.  Bake in a 350-degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes. There - that wasn't so hard, was it?

We double this and bake it in an 11x15 pan.  Our family laughs at 8x8 pans.  I have completely forgotten how to make a normal amount of food, actually.


6 comments:

  1. Pin worthy, indeed! Consider it done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Few people where I live (Western PA) have heard of Blueberry Buckle. My mother told me she got our recipe from a friend who was from South Carolina.

    Arcane Blueberry Buckleania comment: I am very interested to see that you spread the blueberries on top of the cake part. In our tradition, we mix the blueberries in. This means that it is impossible to use frozen berries, because they turn the batter gray. I think next time I am going to try your method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the death of Google Reader has totally affected my blog reading too. Sure there is feedly but it can't really compare to the reader. I really miss that. I've started just bookmarking my favorite sites at work because I can't even use feedly there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blueberry buckle and I've got some bushes with blueberries ripening on them right now! I should probably pin this so I can make it later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 30, 2014

    You're like a blogging old-timer! And I hear you on how FB and all the rest has affected blogging readers. Attention spans have shrunk and no one bothers to leave a proper comment anymore.
    That buckle looks good. We're a month out from blueberry season here I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a blueberry buckle story from my childhood, the gist of it is the power went out while it was baking and it was a disgusting mess. I believe the berries were mixed in, and to this day I remember the grey goopiness. This buckle, on the other hand, looks tasty and fantastic and makes me want to eat it. Thank you for saving me of my blueberry buckle phobia.

    ReplyDelete