Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Evanescence

Move over, Martha Stewart!
A neighbor moved away today; and she offered me this cute little table that just fits against the wall next to our front door. So I took it and placed a vase of flowers on it and felt quite pleased with myself and my homemaking capabilities for a good 2 hours; that is, for the 2 hours that elapsed before Larry came home and suggested that the shaky table plus the glass vase right next to the front door might not enjoy a very long lifespan in a house with 4 kids who are constantly coming and going.

Did I say "suggested"? Actually, he LAUGHED.  He laughed at me and my quixotic attempt at pretending that we are normal people who can have nice things.

So now it is ON. Even though I know Larry is right - that I am merely tilting at windmills by attempting to decorate my house in this manner - we now have a bet going as to how long until the vase gets knocked over and broken.  He gives it 48 hours.  I am being bold and going for 7 days.  Any other guesses?

12 comments:

  1. You could put some money on the bet and poster putty under the vase. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can make it 7 days. It is in a corner after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 19, 2014

    It will never get broken. You will secretly replace any broken vases with new ones and LIVE THE DREAM of having nice things! Delusion is what keeps us moms going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These commenters are very wise.

    It is a wonderful little table! If it were at my house, it would not get broken, but it would have a huge pile of shoes around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, there are 2 pairs of flipflops ON the table right now. Right next to the vase...

      Delete
    2. In my head, I am screaming at the flip flops.

      You could mount a motion-sensor camera on the wall opposite the table, so that you would have a photo anytime anybody walks past or puts something there. Then string the photos all together for a stop-motion animation of life around the table.

      Delete
  5. In addition to Cheri's clever suggestion, you could secretly attach the table to the wall. A little duct tape on that back corner leg? No one would ever see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 19, 2014

    Also let the kids in on the bet and bribe them for a successful 7 days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was totally going to suggest that you cheat with a bit of poster putty/museum wax/double stick tape, but several people beat me to it. Although bribing the kids is not a bad idea - less reliable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha well I am catching up so I see it made it a few!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed to see how long it has made it already!
    At our house, a small table by the door is known as a "launch pad" and quickly fills with things like keys, mail, and whatever needs to go out the door with the next person.

    ReplyDelete